Kilgray memoQ 4.5 | 24.74 MB
Language translation is not only an art, it’s a profession. Every profession has its tools. If you translate for the same clients all the time, you will inevitably have to translate the same sentence again and again. Your clients will simply reuse content among different products of the same product line, among different versions or editions of the same product, or they will just modify a previously translated contract to match their needs.
memoQ is an integrated translation environment. When you work on documents, the documents come in a variety of file formats such as Microsoft Office formats (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), DTP formats (such as Adobe InDesign or Framemaker), XML-based formats, HTML, localization formats (such as RESX or Java properties files), etc. memoQ separates the text from the formatting leaving you only the text to work on. When you are done with the translation, memoQ puts the target language back into the original format. This way formatting remains undisturbed, and you can work on a variety of file formats without having to learn a variety of tools.
Within memoQ you have a full-featured editing environment that is streamlined for translation. As you translate, you see the original text in the documents replaced in real time by your translated text. You translate sentence by sentence, or where the concept of a sentence is not applicable (for example catalogs), segment by segment. When you translate a sentence, you add it to a translation memory, a database that remembers all of your previously translated sentences and their translations. If memoQ finds a translation already stored in the translation memory, it gives you a match. It can even tell you if this translation has been translated in the same context or not.
You can also build a term base or a glossary on the fly. The expressions that you add will be highlighted and offered for automatic insertion if the source segment contains them. If you want to avoid the use of certain words, you can use the termbase for that too.
If you’re trying to find how a certain expression was translated previously, just highlight it and with the click of a button you will get all the sentences with their translations that include the expression. If memoQ finds a longer expression that has already been translated before but not added to your term base, it automatically highlights that – therefore assisting you in translating institution names, spare part names and other expressions consistently.
Even if you don’t have a translation memory, you can still reuse already translated materials (source and target language files) simply by including them in a memoQ project. memoQ matches the source and target content automatically in the background, but still permits human intervention for fine-tuning the results. memoQ is the only widely used tool for translators that offers this functionality, so it is ideal for newcomers to translation technology.
memoQ makes you more productive by:
* Accelerating document editing. memoQ automatically retrieves suggestions for expressions or entire sentences and allows you to insert these suggestions into the text with a single click or keystroke. You don’t have to worry about formatting either. You learn to use a single, easy-to-use tool and you can translate any document type you want. Ideal if you don’t feel confident with technology but still want to be able to accept jobs.
* Cutting research time. memoQ remembers everything that you have translated before so you don't have to research the same thing twice. The translation for any previously translated expression is just a click away. You can also exchange databases with other translators.
* Making your translations more consistent. On-the-fly suggestions, editing improvements and built-in quality assurance checks guarantee that your translation is as consistent as it can be. Consistency is one of the key aspects of quality.
* Allowing you to work on several documents at the same time. If you work in memoQ it won’t matter if your client delivers website content in a single Microsoft Word file or a thousand HTML files–you can perform all operations on a single file or a batch of files. You can check if you have translated the same sentence differently in another file, or you can replace expressions in all files at once.
* Preventing failure. Whatever your client can detect as a translation mistake, you can also detect using memoQ’s built-in quality assurance. You leave less room for criticism and make more room for more business!
Used by thousands of translators and hundreds of companies worldwide, memoQ is among the world’s leading translation environments. It excels in the following areas:
* Leverage. memoQ builds databases and offers the maximum content reuse in the industry.
* Ease of use. You can start working in less than an hour.
* Flexibility. memoQ does not force any specific workflow on you, and it does not lock you into the tool.
* Collaboration. You can work together with other translators and with your clients easily.
* Interoperability. It does not matter what translation environments your clients or your fellow translators use, you can exchange your databases. You can take jobs where you have to deliver in another tool and you can give jobs to translators using other tools.
* Eye for details. memoQ was designed by people with a lot of experience in translation and project management. They have paid attention to the small details that can make your work more efficient.