Bill Fawcett, "Doomed to Repeat: The Lessons of History We've Failed to Learn"
ISBN: 0062069063 | 2013 | EPUB | 336 pages | 496 KB
An engrossing and fact-filled compendium of timeless lessons we keep forgetting–over and over and over . . .
It is said that those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. And so we have. Time and again humankind has overcome great turmoil only to ignore hard-earned wisdom at the very worst moment. Borrowing more from Groundhog Day than D-day, Bill Fawcett illuminates some of the predicaments, both infamous and obscure, that have vexed us for centuries–and just may explain many of today's global conflicts. Through fourteen chapters, Doomed to Repeat is chock-full of trivia, historical oddities, and fascinating insights into our most popular mistakes.
• What really stops terrorists
• How inflation and recession helped set the stage for the Nazis to take power
• What really ended the Great Depression and whether it could work today
• What history predicts for the final results of the Arab Spring
• Swine flu, bird flu, and the chances of another worldwide plague